AM I DREAMING?? A guide to setting and achieving goals!

Prior to creating this blog, I asked myself “What can I do to make my life better?”. I knew that I needed to make a change and I needed to figure out how I can make a change. I looked at the past 27 years of my existence and realized that I have done a lot of dreaming and wishing but never have I been one for setting goals and actually accomplishing those goals.


There were a few times in my life where I would make lists of goals that need to be accomplished, whether it was a daily to-do list or a weekly to do list. When I moved, I found a list of goals I created for myself to become a better graphic designer. Needless to say, I forgot all about it. I didn’t follow my goals and I didn’t become a better graphic designer. I read over the list and realized that had I followed those steps I wrote down, I’d probably be a very successful designer. 

Upon that realization, I came to the conclusion that I had success on the brain but I wasn’t taking the necessary steps in order to achieve it. I wanted success to fall into my lap. I didn’t want to work hard and follow a timeline in order to achieve my goals. I realized that without structure I would get nowhere. Since the time I created my graphic design goal list, I have become a better graphic design artist but with no real structure and timeline, I haven’t really achieved the success I want.


Success in itself should not be your goal. Achieving success is impossible without actually setting goals and achieving them. Success is the product of achieving a goal, not a goal itself.


DREAM - a cherished aspiration, ambition, or ideal; an unrealistic or self-deluding fantasy; a person or thing perceived as wonderful or perfect.


GOAL - the object of a person's ambition or effort; an aim or desired result; the destination of a journey; a point marking the end of a race.

STOP DREAMING AND SET GOALS

Being able to set goals and achieve those goals is the key to becoming a success. Goals should be set in both your personal and professional life. By setting goals and completing them, it gets you closer to your ultimate successes.

HOW TO SET GOALS

  1. Look at the big picture. What is it you ultimately want to achieve? Write this down on a sheet of paper. Write all your goals down! Make sure your goals are specific. “I am going to be a lawyer” is much more specific than “I am going to be successful.” By writing it down you are setting a goal.
  2. Break your main goal down into smaller goals. Create specific, realistic goals to achieve the bigger picture. Including short term goals sets a timeline to achieve your long term goals. What are the steps you need to take in the next few months in order to achieve your goal?
  3. Make sure your goals are realistic and measurable. Don’t set yourself up for failure by setting daily goals that you can’t accomplish yet. Break your goals down as far as you can and figure out what the very first step is to accomplishing them. After the first step, do the second step, etc.
  4. Set up a reward program for yourself. Upon accomplishing a goal, give yourself a treat. Don’t allow yourself to do any rewarding activities until you complete your goals. This helps by giving you more motivation to complete the tasks at hand.
  5. Don’t give up! Always think of the bigger picture. Think of why you set the goals you are trying to achieve and use that as motivation to keep going!  

By setting goals and accomplishing them, you’re on a fast track to becoming a better you. With each goal you accomplish, you are one step closer to making your dream a reality!

I hope this article helps you as much as the research I did to write this helped me. Please feel free to comment. I look forward to your feedback. 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. Mr.SoCalledOldGuyWhoStillCanBackflip :)Monday, April 07, 2014

    This is a great posts. It definitely should help other people. Finding value in the subject shows your understanding of its importance and your growth. Impressive. I'm proud. I still expect to see great things from you. I know you're more than capable. I've always believed....

    ReplyDelete

Let us know what you think! Thanks for visiting! :)